Norman Rockwell Museum

 

Hours

Norman Rockwell Museum is Open 7 days a week year-round

May – October and holidays:

open daily: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thursdays: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. (July/August 2015)
Rockwell’s Studio open May through October.

November – April: open daily:

Weekdays: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Weekends and holidays: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Holiday Closings:

The Museum is Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day

 

 

 

Admission

Members: FREE
Adults: $18.00
Seniors (65+): $17.00
College students with ID: $10.00
Children/teens 6 — 18: $6.00
Children 5 and under: FREE

Official Museum Website

www.nrm.org

 

 

 

Directions

Norman Rockwell Museum
9 Route 183
Stockbridge, MA 01262

413-298-4100 x 221

(0906) The Gray Man of Christ

906
The Gray Man of Christ
FES Title: The Gray Man of Christ –
Alternate Titles: The Gray Man of Christ – General Foch in Church
[1927]
Date: 01/07/1919
Size: 44″H x 31″W
Medium: oil_single-prime-canvas
Type: illustration
Published: “Souvenir Pictures of the Great War.” The Ladies Home Journal, April 1919: 9.
caption: The Gray Man of Christ

A Catholic History of the United States. England: The MacMillan Company, 1926.

Brandywine River Museum. Catalogue of the Collection 1969-89. Chadds Ford, PA: Brandywine Conservancy, 1991: 173 [not pictured].

Inscription: lr: F.E. Schoonover / ’19
Annotations: en verso on paper attached to stretcher: Frank E. Schoonover / 1616 Rodney Street / Wilmin Del. / The GREY MAN of CHRIST / Painted December 1918 for the Ladies / Home Journal and published in color / in the April issue of that magazine –1919
Exhibitions: 1927 Oshkosh
Comments:

#84.24; TP 10/13/04; index; edit

On paper detached from painting [typed]: ‘This original painting 906  [number in red pencil] “The Gray Man of Christ”/ was sold to Donaldson Brown on June 5th 1919 / ODEE / The picture was made for the Home Journal original 31×44  / (On single prime linen) / Started Dec 17 1918 and finished / Jan 7 1919 and send to Philada / that day.’

Commentary: Backed by the intricately designed stained glass windows and surrounded by the richly colored mosaic floor and walls, the devout “French Marshal Foch kneels before a rail in a church while a wounded American soldier, arm in sling, looks on reverently.” (Harrington, 69)
The painting was begun in December, 1918 and finished in January 1919, taking 17 days of work. For further commentary, see #886.
Provenance: Sold by the artist to Donaldson Brown (June 5, 1918); inherited by Mrs. Rodney Layton, Wilmington, Delaware; Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania. Gift of Mrs. Rodney Layton [1984]
2016-11-14T10:36:58+00:00